Can my school help me?

All you need to do is ask your teacher, careers advisor or guidance counsellor. Most students are eligible, even if they don’t want an OP. Your school will work with you, your parents, your employer and training provider to make sure you’re getting all the support you need.

How do I choose a qualification?

There’s a lot to choose from, over 600 qualifications in fact.

At BUSY we can help you get the right information. Give us a call on 13 28 79 or go to the Queensland Training Information Service, here you can search for information on apprenticeships and traineeships, preferred Registered Training Organisations (RTOs), details on supporting courses and qualifications available in Queensland. If you’re still unsure what the right career is for you, you can also check out myfuture. myfuture is an online career service designed to help you explore and plan your career.

How do I find a position?

First thing, prepare a resume and covering letter. You can find some examples at the JobGuide website.

At BUSY we also recommend that you do one or all of the following:

        • Read all the information on offer.
        • Make a list of employers to contact and speak to your current employer, if you have one.
        • Check out your school notice board.
        • Speak to your VET coordinator, careers advisor or guidance counsellor at school.
        • Print out your resume and get someone to proof read it.
        • Contact BUSY At Work.
        • Chat with your friends and family for help and advice.


How long will a school-based apprenticeship take

A traineeship or apprenticeship usually takes anywhere from 12 – 60 months. It just depends on the qualification you choose.

We expect you will finish the first year of an apprenticeship qualification over Years 11 and 12. Trainees could be completely finished by the end of Year 12.

How much do I get paid while I'm a school-based apprentice or trainee?

It really depends on the course, your employer and you. However there are some minimum conditions for employers and employees across Australia. Visit Fairwork online or phone 13 13 94.

What happens when I finish school?

If you finish school, but not your apprenticeship or traineeship, you can continue your training either full-time or part-time until you have completed.

What's a school-based apprenticeship or traineeship and who's it for?

Generally, they’re for students in Years 10, 11 and 12. You can work as a paid employee and get yourself a recognised qualification at the same time. You can complete your schooling whilst working one day a week and you can even work after school, on weekends and during the holidays. To qualify you must still be at school. You will also need to work at least 50 days a year and you will have to do some of the training or work during school hours.

What's a training provider?

A training provider can be a public institution, like TAFE, or a private organisation. They will be responsible for developing your training plan, assessing you and awarding your qualification when you finish. BUSY At Work consultants can provide you with a list of Registered Training Organisations offering your qualification. Registered Training Organisations are often referred to as RTOs. You and your employer will choose the provider to deliver this off-the-job part of your training. The off-the-job training can be completed during spare periods at school or college or during your own free time.

What's the difference between an apprenticeship and traineeship?

Usually an apprenticeship is for a trade like an electrician, builder, hairdresser or chef. Traineeships cover industries that don’t require a trade certificate like business, retail, hospitality, IT, tourism and much more.

When do I start?

We think the best time to start is in Year 11. Start thinking about what you want to do at the end of Year 10 and set up a free consultation session with a BUSY At Work consultant once you have identified an employer who’s keen to take you on as an employee.

When should I contact BUSY At Work?

Once you have found your employer, ask your employer or VET coordinator to contact BUSY At Work to organise a free consultation. We can then handle your induction from start to finish and take the headache out of all the paperwork for not just you, but also your school and your employer.

Will it cost me?

Good news. In most cases the Government subsidises all the costs, so it won’t cost you while at school. It’s best to check with your training provider first.

THE BUSY GROUP LTD trading as BUSY At Work is a service provider contracted by the Australian Government as represented by the Department of Education and Training to provide support services to prospective and current employers and Australian Apprentices. THE BUSY GROUP LTD is one of a number of Network Providers in Queensland and Western Australia. This website does not represent the Australian Government, if you wish to access information about the Australian Apprenticeships, from the Australian Government you should access the Australian Apprenticeships website.

Subscribe to News Alerts

BUSY At Work

Skip to content

Register a Job

Subscribe for Updates

Employer Registration

Job Seeker Registration

Employer Registration

Job Seeker Registration