With the impact of the recent COVID-19 lockdowns again starting to bite, the Queensland government in late July launched another initiative aimed at supporting eligible small and medium employers with a $5,000 grant. With Commonwealth support this has now been boosted to be between $10,000 and $30,000 for eligible businesses.
The lockdown grants are available for businesses right across the State, as Minister Di Farmer stated “All over the State, businesses in Queensland have been affected by the lockdowns in other states and restrictions”.
With the new Commonwealth funding support, the tier levels for eligibility now include:
- Small business with a payroll of less than $1.3 million, and of any industry, can apply for $10,000
- Medium businesses and not-for-profit organisations with a payroll of between $1.3 million and $10 million, and of any industry, can apply for $15,000
- Large businesses and not-for-profit organisations in the hospitality or tourism industry with a payroll of over $10 million can apply for $30,000
The initiative offers eligible businesses with cash flow support of up to $30,000 to help them adapt to evolving circumstances caused by the lockdowns in South East Queensland and the impacts of multiple border closures.
Applications for the Grants opened yesterday (16th August) at midday and will close in three months time, on the 16th November 2021. Where a business may have applied yesterday for the previous amount of $5,000, they will be assessed by size and be automatically eligible for the new amounts.
Eligibility criteria, including an eligibility tracker that can tell businesses right away if they are eligible, can be found on the Queensland Government’s website at https://www.business.qld.gov.au/starting-business/advice-support/grants/covid19-support-grants
Paul Miles, Managing Director for BUSY At Work said, “This is some welcome relief for small businesses who are doing it tough, especially in this most recent lockdown, and we welcome the announcement from the Queensland Government and the further support provided by the Commonwealth Government. We encourage businesses to apply as soon as possible”.
This recent round of grants adds to a long list of support and incentives that the state and federal governments have made available to eligible employers.
If your business is in need of support, we encourage you tap into all the available offerings. Further information is provided below.
- Recently announced Queensland Government 2021 COVID-19 $5,000 Business Support Grants, opening in mid-August. Eligibility criteria and details of how to apply will be available shortly at: business.qld.gov.au/supportgrant
- Queensland Government COVID Assistance – check what assistance your business can claim for under certain criteria.
- Queensland Government Training Contract Suspension – assistance for employers of apprentices with training contract suspensions due to COVID.
- Queensland Government Small Business Support – all available support for Queensland small business owners.
- Queensland Government Back to Work Program – support of up to $20,000 for eligible employers in certain Queensland regions.
- Australian Government Boosting Apprenticeship Commencements – 50% wage subsidy for eligible Australian employers of apprentices and trainees.
- Australian Treasury – Support for Business – information on available support for businesses throughout Australia and by State.
You can also call the Small Business Hotline on 1300 654 687