The report makes 14 recommendations for reform in the apprenticeships and traineeship area. Some of the recommendations include:
- The establishment of a National Custodian for Apprenticeships to respond to the needs of the economy, support consistent standards for employment and training of apprentices and trainees.
- To enhance the quality and effectiveness of the Australian Apprenticeships system by clarifying the roles and consolidating the number of stakeholders.
- To establish structured support for employers to provide high quality employment and workforce development experiences.
- Redirecting incentives to ‘high value’ areas instead of blanket incentives for all apprenticeships and traineeships.
- To facilitate a flexible approach to allow for both continuation of training and employment of apprentices and trainees during periods of economic downturn.
- To support a review of wages and conditions by Fair Work Australia in relation to apprenticeships and traineeships provisions.
For more information on the report and the Expert Panel, please refer to the Australian Apprenticeships website.