Latest News

 

Cardwell recovery efforts resume

Cardwell recovery efforts resume

Flood recovery efforts continue around Queensland.

Works have resumed on the multimillion-dollar Reconstruction Cardwell project, the Queensland government announced today (February 19).

The $40 million development was suspended after ex-tropical Cyclone Oswald ripped through the region last month, however, construction is now back on track.

Premier Campbell Newman said January’s severe weather highlighted the need to rebuild a more resilient Queensland to ensure that there is some level of protection in the future.

“The cyclone demonstrates how and why this project is so important in terms of providing access to Cardwell,” Mr Newman commented.

The recovery project, which may open up opportunities for apprenticeships in Townsville, will rejuvenate the Cardwell foreshore, which was severely damaged by Cyclone Yasi in 2011.

As part of the development, Bruce Highway will also be reconstructed to become safer and more robust than before.

Member for Hinchinbrook Andrew Cripps said almost 70 per cent of the highway’s southbound lane has been completed, with works commencing on the northbound lane and a 900 metre rock wall last week.

He remarked: “By building a rock wall as part of the project, we’re ensuring that the parts of the road and foreshore that are undergoing reconstruction will be more resilient to future natural disasters.”

  Subscribe for Updates
Subscribe to News Alerts

BUSY At Work

#GC150

150 Apprenticeships before December 31

Help us to get 150 young people from the Gold Coast into Apprenticeships or Traineeships before December 31

Discover More

Register a Job

Subscribe for Updates

Employer Registration

Job Seeker Registration

Employer Registration

Job Seeker Registration