The Queensland Government Department of Employment, Small Business and Training provides a travel and accommodation subsidy to eligible Queensland apprentices and trainees who are required to travel at least 100kms return to attend off the job training for their apprenticeship or traineeship.
In order to claim any part of the travel and accommodation subsidy:
- The apprenticeship or traineeship must be registered in Queensland
- The apprentice or trainee must travel at least 100kms return (by direct route), to their training organisation from their usual place of residence.
- The apprentice or trainee must attend their closest training organisation who is able to deliver training in the relevant qualification.
- Claims must be submitted to the department within 6 months from the completion of the training block or attendance period being claimed for.
The Travel and Accommodation Allowance: Policy Statement and Guidelines provides further detailed information about eligibility and:
- Rates for land, rail, air and ferry travel and accommodation advance claims (apprentices and trainees experiencing financial hardship may apply for the subsidy prior to attending off-the-job training)
- Special provisions for additional financial assistance or attendance at a training organisation that is not the apprentice or trainee’s closest training organisation.
- Applying for the subsidy
- Apprentices and trainees can apply for the travel and/or accommodation subsidy via Travel and Accommodation Online. This is the most efficient way to apply, when the apprentice or trainee is eligible and all information/supporting documents have been provided.
- Alternatively, complete and return the appropriate travel and accommodation form.